I’m working on a Art & Design question and need guidance to help me study.
The works of Abstract Expressionists like Rothko and Pollock have been some of the most expensive paintings sold at auction:
- $72.8 million for White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose), 1950 by Mark Rothko (2007)
- $140 million for No. 5, 1948 by Jackson Pollock (2006)
Visit the following websites on Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock:
Based on the information above and from the lectures and textbook, answer the following questions:
1) Why do you think Abstract Expressionism is such an important modernist art movement? Be sure to mention at least 3 specific characteristics of the works of Rothko and Pollock that have contributed to this movement and its important place in art history.
2) use 3 or more vocab words
3) compare the 2 paintings in your arguement