I’m studying for my Writing class and need an explanation.
The Younger or Elder Son?
- Kingdom, Grace, Judgment (Capon, 2002)
- Book 2, Chapter 12: Death and the Party
- Book 2, Chapter 13: The Party Parables
- Stories with Intent (Snodgrass, 2018)
- Parables of Lostness
- Luke 7:41-43; 15
- Matthew 18
- Commentary on Luke 15 (Bailey, 1991) [PDF]
The Prodigal Son is one of the most famous of Jesus’ parables and also one of the most fascinating to interpret. In four to five paragraphs, interpret the parable by responding to the following questions.
- Who, in your opinion, do the two sons represent?
- Who does the father represent?
- Based on your definition of righteousness in your previous post, is one son more righteous than another? Is the father more righteous than his sons?
- What happens with the elder son? How does he end up?
- In your own words, describe the father’s actions with both of the sons. Does the father do the right thing?
- What is the meaning of the abrupt ending?
- What is the overall lesson?
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research.