Purpose of the Assignment: To allow you to examine the rhetorical situations involved in communicating technical information to a lay audience. To do this, you will complete a labor market analysis of the electrical engineering career field.
Step 1: Go to the Web site for the Bureau of Labor Statistics (https://www.bls.gov/ooh/a-z-index.htm). You can copy this URL into the search window at the top of your screen.
Step 2: Answer the following questions about your career field in paragraph form:
- What is the nature of the work?
- What training, other qualifications, and/or advancement are needed for you to enter and progress in your career field?
- What is the outlook for the job you want to seek in your career field?
- What are the earnings and wage projections for your job or career field?
- What are some other occupations you can consider as an alternative (choose three), and what are the training requirements/qualifications for those positions?
Step 3: Use the formatting guidelines for a short report, including a title page, headings, line spacing, and the integration of charts and graphs into your report. All text should be single-spaced and aligned on the left margin. There should be one line space before and after each heading as well as between paragraphs. The paper will be approximately eight to ten pages long, single-spaced.
Report Components: These components must be included in your report:
- Title page
- Answers to the six questions above, each designated with a heading and discussed in paragraph form.
- Two charts, tables, or graphs that display and interpret pertinent quantitative information.
- Conclusion that summarizes your discussion and answers these questions:
Why do you want to pursue the career you have chosen? Why do you think this career is a good fit for you? What are your strengths and weaknesses and how do they enhance and/or hinder your chances of gaining employment in your desired career field?
You may find the document called “” helpful as you write your conclusion. Pay close attention to the part of the document that discusses how to write your conclusion.
I have attached sample reports along with a write up of my strengths and weaknesses.