I need help with a Music question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
Research and essay
Due June 26th
Google Arts & Culture
Vermeer and Musicians
The Baroque Era
- Choose one of the 12 paintings in the Google Arts & Culture
Vermeer and Music web page and paste the image to your paper
My favorites are the “Guitar Player”, (not shown in the collection) and also “The Concert”
In the painting “The Concert” the typical instruments of the Basso Continuo section are depicted – harpsichord, lute and viola da gamba
- Find one of each of the following genres written for the instrument or instruments depicted in the painting composed close to the date of Vermeer’s painting or from the Baroque Era.
- Find a recording or video on YouTube of each work and add a link.
The virginal is basically an upright harpsichord so you may treat it as so.
- For one of these works find a primary source on imspl.org. A manuscript is preferred or first edition. Download and paste a title page of or first page of music into your paper.
Here is a link to imslp and an example.
- Define Basso Continuo
- What are the differences and similarities of the bass viola da gamba and the cello?
Corelli concerti grosso performed on the Chamber Orchestra concert had a basso continuo section.
Work and get your finals in by Friday end of day. There have been questions from students about the format of the final. The last 2 questions should be answered in essay form – the first part should be a nice presentation – I will care about how it looks. Feature the Vermeer painting you choose and make an effort to find an autograph manuscript and display all properly.