I need an explanation for this Nursing question to help me study.
Go to the following link and review Chapter 2 Part 1
Product 1 Product 2
Calories 390 230
Total Fat 18 gm 4 gm
Saturated fat 9 gm 2 gm
Trans fats 2 gm 1 gm
Cholesterol 45 mg 15 mg
Sodium 450 mg 880 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 gm 28 gm
Dietary fiber 4 gm 3 gm
Sugars 12 gm 10 gm
Protein 17 gm 19 gm
1. What is the percentage of calories from fat for each product? (hint: fat Calories divided by total Calories [fat calories is fat gms x 9])
2. Is this a healthy amount of fat? Explain your answer.
3. Are either of these products considered high sodium? Explain your answer.
4. Which of these products is more healthy? Explain your answer.
My plate is the USDA’s food guide reviewed in Chapter 2. There are many critics, myself included, that feel the USDA’s guidelines are influenced by the food corporations vs. actual healthy guidelines. I have provided a link to an article critiquing the plate as well as some healthy guidelines. My guidelines are as follows:
- Eat real food
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Small amounts of lean meat, chicken, fish and low fat dairy items
- Avoid processed foods whenever possible
- Avoid foods that do not spoil
- Choose organic when possible
- Be mindful when eating
- Stay hydrated (at least 8 glasses of water/day) and Move!!!!!!!
- Which of the food guides provided most closely matches your diet choices? Why?
- Please provide a positive and negative aspect from each of the eating guides provided.
- Which guide do you think provides the healthiest recommendations?Why?
- Do you think the USDA (this agency is also in charge of creating all of the farming policies in the country in addition to providing nutrition advice) is the best agency to provide health and diet recommendations? Why?