You have recently been promoted to Health Services Manager at Three Mountains Regional Hospital, a small hospital located in a mid-size city in the Midwest. Three Mountains is a general medical and surgical facility with 400 beds. Last year there were approximately 62,000 emergency visits and 15,000 admissions. More than 6,000 outpatient and 10,000 inpatient surgeries were performed.
Three Mountains was recently in the news after employee emails were published in which patients were discussed in very negative terms, although patient names were not used. The employees that sent these emails were fired. The CEO and the Board of Directors has tasked you with developing an intake packet for new patients that will reestablish patient trust in the facility, employees, and staff. The patient packet will address new patient concerns by including information about HIPAA, informed consent, a confidential health history report, and a living will. The new packet will also include the values of the organization and a code of ethics.
Your intake packet will start with the Hospital’s Code of Ethics that includes at least 10 ethical points. The code of ethics should include (at a minimum):
- Patient relations
- Physician activities
- Billing for services
- Political activities
- Conflict of interest
- Communication, including social media
The Code of Ethics should be submitted in bullet format in a Word document with an introduction. APA formatting for the ethical points and proper grammar is required.
Upon completion of your code of ethics, please prepare a PowerPoint presentation (or other shareable Webware/software you prefer) with narration in which you explain each ethical point and its relevance in the healthcare industry with examples to the CEO, so that she can answer questions from the Board.
- The PowerPoint should have a minimum of 5 slides and a maximum of 12.
- Describe each ethical point in the Code of Ethics.
- Use the notes area on each slide as needed to expand on the key points.
- You may use a free screen capture site such as Screencast-O-Matic to record a video of your presentation. Screencast-O-Matic is a site and program that can perform screen desk and audio capture up to 15 minutes for free, and can be utilized on a Windows or Mac computer. (Note: You can use another, similar program if you prefer. Screencast-O-Matic is only a suggestion). Make sure that both your voice and the PowerPoint slides are captured on the video.
Your audio presentation should include an introduction, a concise discussion of each slide, and a conclusion. The presentation should demonstrate your overall knowledge of the content, pronunciation of words, organization, proper recording, professionalism, and clarity.
Your presentation should be 10 minutes or less. Be sure to include the following:
- Include a link to the location of your live video on the last slide of your PowerPoint presentation.
- Make sure to use audience specific language and tone in your PowerPoint. Remember, you would be presenting this to the CEO of your facility.