The world around us is changing each and every day and those decisions greatly affect our lives as nutrition students and food service professionals. It is important for us to be aware of the events that are going on around us locally and nationally and how they are affecting our industry.
- Select a current event article and/or topic that relates to food service, food service management, or any topic that can be related back to ideas being discussed in this class .
- Post a link to this article.
- Create a five paragraph write-up with the link to the article that discusses the following items:
- Summarize the article.
- How does this topic relate to food service, management, or other topics related to this course.
- How will this news affect the food service world and/or food service profession?
- Why did you pick this topic? What interested you about it?
- Do you agree with what the article is saying? State your opinions on the topic.
The purpose of Discussion Boards in this course is for you to demonstrate your understanding of the material. This can only be done if you are using your own words to show me, the instructor, that you have read, analyzed and interpreted the information. Work that is plagiarized, duplicated, or not properly cited may receive a zero.
You may look to the text or other resources for answers and explanations to a discussion board topic. However, when writing your Discussion Board submission I expect you to use the text or other resources to support your answer. In order to support your understanding of the expectations for discussion board postings, I have included a list of guidelines to follow while posting. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in a grade of “0” for the assignment and/or further disciplinary procedures if necessary.
Use the concept of the 4 E’s to demonstrate specific and sufficient knowledge and understanding.
The 4 E’s represent four questions that almost always need answering as you write:
- Can you provide an EXAMPLE of that?
- Can you give an EXPERIENCE to illustrate that?
- Can you EXPLAIN that further?
- Can you give EVIDENCE to support that?
Do not use direct quotations but try to summarize information using your own wording and voice.
Always cite your sources as follows when using the internet or text.
- Website : US Bureau of Labor Statistics website. http://www.bls.gov/cps/wlf-databook-2012.pdf (Links to an external site.). Published February 2013. Revised March 26, 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013.
- Textbook: Kittler 7th Ed., Pg 10-12
- The Power Point slides or videos provided by the instructor
- Chapter 2 PPT slide #4
- Name of video is sufficient
For more information look at the following resource for an explanation on how to quote, paraphrase, and summarize without plagiarizing: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/563/01/