I’m studying for my Writing class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
This is a law assignment, and will assess the following competency:
1. Evaluate the functions and goals of management in a criminal justice environment.
Read the scenario and questions below and write a 3-4 page (750-1000 word) essay answering the questions. The assignment should be submitted using Microsoft Word with default margins, using 12 point Times New Roman black font, double spacing, and APA format.
Imagine that you are the elected sheriff for a county that encompasses a major metropolitan area. In the past year, there has been an unfortunate series of officer-involved shootings where some citizens and the media claim that the officers murdered the suspects (now deceased) in “cold blood.” This led to a few protests that were peaceful and a few that turned to violence and looting.
This is only the start of your management troubles! The state supreme court ruled (a few weeks ago) that the conditions in your county prison are unhealthy and unsafe. The court ordered the release of 5,000 inmates to reduce the overcrowding problem that led to the unsafe and unhealthy conditions.
Finally, the Public Defender’s office has been forced to furlough attorneys and freeze hiring due to the financial impact (on the budget) from the recent national financial collapse. Each Public Defender has an average of 594 cases. The Public Defender has now refused to provide services to those arrested of third-degree felonies claiming that “adequate representation cannot be provided to the qualified indigent when my attorneys are so overly-burdened”.
A group of ivory-tower academics are studying these three issues and have determined that it is a result of decentralization. They requested, and have been granted, an interview with you to discuss the recent events and plaguing issues. They specifically selected you to interview because you have nearly forty-years of law enforcement experience and have been given the nickname ‘The People’s Sheriff’. The following are their questions:
- Why does your criminal justice system hire lawyers who try to exonerate the defendants whom the police arrested and the prosecution locked away?
- Why does your criminal justice system employ lawyers for the convicts that are suing correctional officers and facilities?
- Why do citizens claim that you are encroaching on their civil rights when you get ‘tough on crime’ yet conversely decry that you are ‘soft on crime’ when you protect the rights of the accused?
- What specific plans do you have to address and remedy the three issues that we are discussing?
* Include at least three academic or professional sources to support your work. APA citations need to be included both in-text and in a separate reference page.