Internet Case–Evaluating the Quality of Health Care. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services maintains the Web site https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html, which provides an array of measures that report on individual hospitals and other types of health care providers. Access the Web site for help in completing this case.
- What is the purpose of the Hospital Compare site?
- The site allows you to find a hospital and assess how it compares to state and/or federal statistics. There are several categories of measures including: general information; survey of patients’ experiences; timely and effective care; readmissions, complications, and deaths; use of medical imaging; Medicare payment; and number of Medicare patients. Enter information to locate a hospital of interest to you. Once the hospital is located complete the following.
- Compare and evaluate the survey of patients’ experiences relative to state and federal statistics.
- Compare and evaluate timely and effective care for emergency department care relative to state (if available) and federal statistics.
- Compare and evaluate under readmission, complications, and deaths the 30-day outcome information relative to state (if available) and federal statistics.
- Overall how would you rate the hospital you selected? Explain your rating.
- Explain how such factors as patient mix, occupancy rate, average length of stay, payor mix (i.e., Medicare, Medicaid, third-party insurers, self-pay, and charity care), and the hospital’s financial condition may affect the quality of care.