I’m stuck on a Mathematics question and need an explanation.
Learn by Doing
In this discussion you will analyze the drinking data file to answer the two questions listed in the Prompt section below. As a reminder, here is the same information we previously provided.
Some features of this activity may not work well on a cell phone or tablet. We highly recommend that you complete this activity on a computer.
Here are the directions, grading rubric, and definition of high-quality feedback for the Learn by Doing discussion board exercises.
A list of StatCrunch directions is provided at the bottom of this page.
A university conducted a student survey, collecting data from a random sample of 236 undergraduate students.
The data for this lab is a subset of the real data collected by the university. Some students did not answer all of the questions in the survey. We use the symbol * in the spreadsheet to indicate missing data.
- Gender Male or Female
- Alcohol Number of alcoholic beverages consumed in a typical week
- Height Self-reported height (in inches)
- Cheat Would you tell the instructor if you saw somebody cheating on an exam? (0=No, 1=Yes)
If you have not done so already, download the drinking (Links to an external site.) datafile, then upload the file in StatCrunch.
In your initial discussion post, respond to each of the following after you download the drinking.xlsx file provided in the Data section below.
- Describe the distribution of weekly alcohol consumption using concepts from Unit 2.
- Make an appropriate graph and provide appropriate numerical summaries. To recall how to create these items, see the StatCrunch directions provided below.
- Describe the shape, center and spread using numerical measures that best describe the distribution.
- In your description, include an interval of typical values and a discussion of variability.
- Embed your StatCrunch graph in your initial post. To recall how to embed StatCrunch output, see the directions provided below.
- Do the data suggest that drinking is a problem in this university?
- Use the data to support your answer.
List of StatCrunch Directions
Each link will open in a new window. To return to this discussion, either close the new tab or select the tab for this discussion.
- Create Your Stats-Class Folder in Canvas (You only need to do this once.)
- Purchase StatCrunch (You only need to do this once.)
- Open StatCrunch
- Download Excel Data File
- Upload Excel Data File to StatCrunch
- Download StatCrunch Output Window (do not take screenshots; please use these directions)
- Upload Files into Your Stat-Class Folder in Canvas
- Embed Pictures in a Discussion Post (do not post attachments; please use these directions)
- Sort a StatCrunch Spreadsheet
- Create a Histogram
- Adjust Histogram Bin Width
Here is a PDF document with all StatCrunch directions (Links to an external site.).