I’m trying to study for my Management course and I need some help to understand this question.
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873248/32fbd948db (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873270/5a63413c08 (Links to an external site.)
- . https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873291/fe5978e72a (Links to an external site.)
- . https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873328/8b074acb28 (Links to an external site.)
- . https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873372/1d98482c49 (Links to an external site.)
- . https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873461/60c7057eba (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873510/37ec08a337 (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873549/eb899d1126 (Links to an external site.)
- . https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873974/2c3836c83b (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342873988/fde11480bc (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342874012/2a0502217e (Links to an external site.)
- https://vimeo.com/user12965939/review/342874037/dfed7191d1 (Links to an external site.)
You are a consultant working for a company that provides strategy and HR consulting to the healthcare industry.Your client group includes community-based healthcare facilities such as Urgent Care and other healthcare clinics. Most of these organizations follow a corporate level strategy focused on providing patients with fast, reliable service.Patients want to trust in the care they are receiving and to be taken care of quickly.The majority of patients return to the same facility, so you are recommending that your clients (the healthcare facilities) include patient retention goals in the strategic plan for the upcoming year.
Since this particular segment within the healthcare industry is becoming increasingly competitive, your consulting company is recommending their clients distinguish themselves from competitors by creating a niche approach that follows the Container Store and Costco’s total rewards philosophies as described in Steve Gross’s video lecture, “What is Fair Pay”, and as presented in a Harvard Business Review article entitled, “How 4 Retailers Became “Best Places to Work”. See an excerpt from the article below:
While each company takes a somewhat different approach, there are a few common themes:
Maintain high expectations – All four retailers demand a lot from employees, but those demands are evident throughout the enterprise – executives are held to them as much (if not more) than front-line employees.
Empower employees – Employees that are empowered to make decisions and take action enable those employees to meet demanding goals.
Encourage teamwork and team success – A demanding work environment not properly managed could lead to competition between individuals that ends up being detrimental to the company as a whole. By encouraging team spirit, individuals’ competitive energies are channeled in productive ways.
Pay people well – Ever wonder why shopping at Costco feels a lot different than shopping at Target? There are lots of reasons, of course, but one important difference is that Costco employees are paid well. In the words of Costco’s CEO: “good pay means good things for the business.”
Ping-pong tables and other quirky perks are great but, at the end of the day, feeling empowered and fairly compensated are much more valuable.
The Container Store and Costco were two of the retailers referenced in the HBR article. To better understand The Container Store’s rationale for pursuing their unconventional approach to total rewards, please watch the first video clip describing their First Foundation Principle: 1 Great Person = 3 Good People.
1st Foundation Principle 1 Great Person = 3 Good People
Please use this information as well as information from the assigned material on the to answer the questions below.
- Some of your clients, such as KGW Healthcare are publicly held corporations and top management feels compelled to explain their total rewards strategy to the Board of Directors and prospective investors.Please provide these talking points and explain the rationale for following a “lead” strategy of paying employees above the market rate.
- The VP of HR at 2 of the client locations prepared questions for you. Please proved a response to each question using the information you learned from the HBR podcast and the video lectures.
- At one of the facilities, the HR team identified high potential employees (HiPos) in each job category.This group of HiPos is comprised of employees who have been with the company for less than 18 months and employees who recently marked their 5-year anniversary.Based on the company’s analytics, these are the HiPos most likely to leave the organization for other opportunities.Reliable exit interview data is not available, so the VP of HR asked you if, in an effort to increase and improve retention, these HiPos should be put on a high performing track and paid more than their peers.
- Another VP reported the results of a survey they recently conducted.They learned that 60% of their employees believe they are paid less than employees at nearby facilities, 40% believe they’ve been overlooked for a promotion at least once in the last 3 years, and 50% have low engagement scores.The VP thinks that a 3% pay raise for all employees will be expensive, but will effectively address each of the 3 issues mentioned above, and would like your thoughts and recommendations.
- Questions about KGWHealth (based on the videos assigned in the syllabus):
- How many regional locations comprise KGWHealth?
- The regional locations are clustered into how many geographic regions?
- Each Center is managed by a ________? Please list this position’s direct reports:
- There are 21 budgeted positions for each Center.Each Center is fully staffed (T/F)
- What is the average salary?
- Which department has the lowest average salary of all 7 departments?
- Each job description contains information about that particular position. Please choose 3 different job descriptions and describe how this information could be useful to an HR professional
- Under the Analytics tab, the file “Salary Range Analysis by Job” shows 3 different columns for each job title (each column is a different color).Please explain the information provided in each column.
- Under the Analytics tab, please explain the information provided in the file “Salary Range Analysis by Grade”
- By looking at the Job and People hierarchy you can see the reporting structure.Can you also see a snapshot of the diversity within each department from this view? Yes/No
- How many employees are active?
- 115 employees on the spreadsheet are inactive.What does this mean?