I need support with this History question so I can learn better.
Writing Assignment #1: “Story Writing During Quarantine”
When the Black Death broke out in Italy in 1348, the poet Giovanni Bocaccio left the city of Florence to quarantine himself in the countryside. While in quarantine he wrote his masterpiece, The Decameron, which included 100 comedic and tragic tales involving common individuals. The purpose of Writing Assignment #1 will be to write an additional story that would fit with Bocaccio’s 100 tales. This is a creative writing assignment based on your knowledge of medieval literature.
1) Read The Decameron (selections) by Bocaccio that is attached here. When reading make sure to keep in mind the following questions: What are some common themes? What does humor mean for the late medieval audience? What does drama mean? Who are the good and bad characters? How are they portrayed?
2) Since you, like Boccaccio in 1348, are in quarantine this summer, your task will be to write the 101st story of The Decameron. To do so, you must become familiar with the sort of tales in the collection from the selection provided by your professors. Get creative! Your story must include the following elements:
- It must be set in an Italian city-state in the Renaissance (e.g. Florence, Venice, Rome, Milan, Urbino, etc…)
- It must either be a comedic story, a tragic tale, or a love story.
- It must have at least 3 characters described physically, intellectually, and social status or job.
- It must include one element of wit (e.g. characters outsmarting or tricking each other).
- A conclusion that has a lesson.