Can you help me understand this Writing question?
We have seen how important the balance of powers between branches of government and between state and federal governments are to this country. Building on the ideas of this course, you will be conducting research into an issue of your choice and relating it to court cases, separation of powers, the election process, public opinion–any topic from this course that applies.
In “Divided We Stand” you read about issues during the 2000 presidential election that created create tension within the nation. Certainly we have had elections that also created great tension since then. Now, you will identify an issue you feel is dividing the United States. Use the internet and local library to research your issue. Among other things, you should look for the history of the issue, court cases (state or federal), proposed or enacted constitutional amendments (state or federal), and public opinion polls regarding the issue. Be sure to evaluate your sources carefully and avoid Wikipedia or other online dictionaries.
Share your idea and initial thesis with your teacher for feedback. An outline or first draft is required before completion of the final draft.
- Minimum 3 page essay clearly summarizing the information about the issue and presenting your persuasive ideas for resolving the problem
- OUTLINE OR ROUGH DRAFT SUBMITTED (SEPARATE DOCUMENT!)
- MLA formatting and parenthetical documentation
- Works Cited page
- Hyperlinks to information on court cases or constitutional amendments discussed in essay
- Tables/charts/graphs from public opinion polls or surveys discussed in essay (can also be hyperlinked)