I’m working on a humanities question and need guidance to help me learn.
Communication is the thread that binds all relationships. If you are engaging in sexual activities then its important to be able to discuss any concerns, desires, or topics that positively or adversely affect relationships.
All relationships have ups and downs, but a healthy communication style can make it easier to deal with conflict, and build a stronger and healthier partnership. We often hear how important communication is, but not what it is and how we can use good communication in our relationships. In relationships, communication allows to you explain to someone else what you are experiencing and what your needs are. The act of communicating not only helps to meet your needs, but it also helps you to be connected in your relationship, talk to each other. No matter how well you know and love each other, you cannot read your partner’s mind. We need to communicate clearly to avoid misunderstandings that may cause hurt, anger, resentment or confusion.
It takes two people to have a relationship and each person has different communication needs and styles. Couples must find a way of communicating that suits their relationship. Healthy communication styles require practice and hard work, however communication will never be perfect all the time. Be clear when communicating with your partner, so that your message can be received and understood. Double check your understanding of what your partner is saying.
When we communicate, we can say a lot without speaking. Our body posture, tone of voice and the expressions on our face all convey a message. These non-verbal means of communicating can tell the other person how we feel about them. If our tone, facial expressions, and body language don’t fit with our words, it is often the non-verbal communication that gets ‘heard’ and believed. For example, saying ‘I love you’ to your partner in a flat, bored, tone of voice, gives two very different messages. Notice whether your body language reflects what you are saying.
Listening is a very important part of effective communication. A good listener can encourage their partner to talk openly and honestly. Open and clear communication can be learned. Some people find it hard to talk and may need time and encouragement to express their views. These people may be good listeners, or they may be people whose actions speak louder than their words.
Most of us find some experiences or topics difficult to talk about. It may be something that is painful or makes us feel uncomfortable. For example, some people find it difficult to express their emotions. It is often the things that cannot be talked about that hurt the most.
If you can’t seem to improve the communication in your relationship, consider talking with a relationship counselor. Counselors are trained to recognize the patterns in a couple’s communication that are causing problems and to help change those patterns. You could also consider doing a course that is relevant to your relationship. It is better to act early and talk to someone about your concerns, rather than wait until things get worse. ;o)
Choose one (1) of the questions below and write your thoughts and feelings about it (give examples). Type the scenario first so that I know which one you have chosen to write about. No reference required. Reflect, Reveal, Explain, Support, or Debate…express yourself with as much precision as possible.
- It’s common to experience bumps in the road as you get to know your partner. But, what happens when you find yourself dealing with the same relationship issues repeatedly after reaching your one year milestone? You’ve been together for one year and you’re still fighting over and over again about the same issues.
- In a recent study 59% of people say that titles like “fiance”, “girlfriend”, or “boyfriend” in a relationship matter to them. Why do titles matter if you’re already getting the benefits of the relationship?
- Yolanda Hadid (mom to models Bella and Gigi) claims ex-husband David Foster was not “there” for her during her battle with Lime Disease. He cruelly dumped her by callously telling her “your sick card is up”. What is the meanest way someone has ended a relationship with you or someone you know?
- In a recent survey 50% of people admitted that they’ve been dishonest with their partners in the past and 65% felt that in certain situations it was acceptable to lie to your significant other. When is it ever okay to lie to our significant other?
- Micro cheating are small things that you do that can come off as infidelity without being physically unfaithful. For example: forgetting to mention your partner in conversation or that you’re in a relationship, excessive eye contact with someone, hiding your phone (these are illustrated to make a point). Do you think these kinds of things are forms of cheating?
- Jay Z talked about his cheating during his marriage to Beyoncé. Are men now open to talking, giving advise, and supporting each other as far as exposing their feelings, emotions, and failures in relationships with their male friends or male family members?