In this module, you have explored a variety of internal influences on consumer behaviour. You will now apply what you have learned by analyzing and investigating internal factors or influences on consumer behaviour to practical marketing situations.
Assignment 2, worth 10% of your final grade, is organized in six sections. Each of the six parts carries the marks as stated for a total of 100 marks. Maximum length is 13 pages in 12pt font with normal margins. This must be submitted as a PDF document.
You will continue to focus on your chosen product and market for the course. In this assignment, you will examine various aspects of internal factors/influences and their implication to a marketer. Follow the specific instructions to each part of the assignment and complete all sections as required.
Section 1: Motivation and Involvement (20 marks)
Using the product that you have chosen to research, produce a 3–4-page report examining the level of motivation and involvement that a typical customer would display in the purchase of your product.
Consider the following:
- Select one level of from Maslow’s Hierarchy of Human Needs that can be used to segment the market and position your chosen product. Explain your choices. Justify the application of Maslow’s need hierarchy for segmentation and positioning of your product.
- Identify possible motivational conflicts that a prospective consumer of your chosen product may have. Discuss how the marketer can reduce or resolve these motivational conflicts.
- Develop an involvement profile for a typical consumer of your chosen product and discuss any key issues that would be relevant to a marketer. Use Figures 3-5 and 3-6 from your textbook in assessing the level of involvement that a prospective customer of your chosen product may have.
Section 2: Personality (15 marks)
Produce a 1–2-page report answering the following questions:
- Given your thinking on your product thus far, select two theories or traits from Figure 4-9 in the textbook that should prove helpful in targetting, branding, and related strategies. Provide examples of print ads (with URL, in-text citation, scan or attachment) that would appeal to those with similar personalities/traits. (Note: The ads do not have to be for your chosen product.) Explain your choices.
- Using the concept of brand personality, describe a personality for your chosen product.
Section 3: Perception and Positioning (20 marks)
Produce a 2–3-page report answering the following questions:
- Draw an attribute-based perceptual map for your chosen product. Include the main competitive brands and discuss any opportunity for repositioning. (You may refer to page 165 of your textbook.)
- What extrinsic and intrinsic cues would be used in assessing the perceived quality of your chosen product, and how would you as a marketer use extrinsic cues to improve the perceived quality of your product? Also, comment on the price-quality relationship in general and of your chosen product.
- Comment on the type and degree of perceived risks likely to be associated with your chosen product.
Section 4: Reinforcing Consumer Learning (10 Marks)
(1 page max)
How would you apply the concept of “shaping” (step-wise operant conditioning) to reinforce desired pre-purchase behaviour and attract customers?
Section 5: Consumer Attitude Formation/Change (15 marks)
Explain the strategies you would use to change consumer attitudes towards a particular brand of your chosen product by:
- Changing beliefs about the brand
- Changing beliefs about competing brands
- Changing the relative evaluation of attributes
- Adding an attribute
Do you think the “foot-in-the-door” technique (page 230 of your textbook) is applicable to your chosen product?
Section 6: Communication and Consumer Behaviour (20 marks)
(1 page maximum)
Using Figure 8-3 from your textbook, recommend two advertising media for your product and explain your choices.
For the objective of promoting sales, what type of message structure, presentation style, and appeal would you use? Would you use a comparative message?
Submit your assignment below. Be sure to save your assignment as a PDF document and name it: MKTG3471_Lastname_Assign2
Reminders before submitting assignment:
- Did you put your name and student number on the front page of the document?
- Did you complete all of the required elements?
- Did you use information and terminology learned in this course?
- Did you support your statements with specific examples?
- Did you cite references, using correct APA referencing format?
- Did you ensure that there are no spelling mistakes?
- Is your report grammatically correct, clear, and well organized?
- Did you limit your report to 13 pages maximum at 12pt font and normal margins?